Chocolate Sponge cake with Raspberry preserve
This cake doesn't need an occassion to be enjoyed. It tastes just as delicious anytime , anywhere. I made it for my family one evening and they seemed to like it quite much.
I wanted to share this recipe with you all cos it's really easy to make and doesn't need much decoration skills, esp. when it comes to an amateur like me.
For the sponge:
175 g / 6 oz. unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing.
150 g / 5 1/2 oz. plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
175 g / 6 oz. caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp milk
For the filling:
Raspberry preserve, as much as required.
lightly whipped cream or a dusting of cocoa powder will be just as beautiful.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line two 20 cm or 8 inch sandwich tins.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder and beat in the sugar and eggs, mixing until smooth. stir in the milk.
3. Spread the mixture into the tins. Bake in the pre heated oven for 25- 30 minutes, until risen and firm.
4. Cool in the tins for 2 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Sandwich the cakes together with the rasperry preserve.
6. Decorate the cake with some lightly beaten whipped cream or a dusting of cocoa powder.
Here's how mine turned out.....
Oh! You can also add a few chocolate sprinkles and some preserved raspberries and a sprig of mint. I used preserved instead of fresh raspberries because where I come from, we don't get fresh ones here.